Trump Pauses the 50% Canada Tariffs for Three Days as Ottawa and Washington Say a Deal Is Close
The duties on about US$20bn of Canadian goods were suspended less than two hours before they were due to take effect.
Commentary & Analysis ·

Verified key facts
- Trump paused the 50% tariffs on roughly US$20bn of Canadian goods less than two hours before they were due to take effect at 12:01am eastern time on 19 August, according to CNBC and NBC News.
- The reprieve runs for three days and expires at the end of the day on 21 August, according to Prime Minister Mark Carney's statement.
- Trump wrote that Canada and the United States, subject to the finalisation of documents, had a deal, as reported by Axios and Forbes.
- The three proclamations were signed on 20 July and are the first use by any president of Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930, according to analyses by White & Case and Holland & Knight.
- The measures reach about 5% of the value of US goods imports from Canada and answer grievances in motor vehicles, alcoholic beverages and dairy, per the US Trade Representative and White & Case.
- Carney said substantial progress had been made although important work was still to be done, per NPR and CNBC.
A pause announced two hours before the deadline
Donald Trump suspended a 50% tariff on roughly US$20bn of Canadian goods late on Tuesday, less than two hours before the duties were due to take effect at 12:01am eastern time on Wednesday. In a post on his own platform the president said the measures had been held for three days because Canada and the United States, subject to the finalisation of documents, had a deal.
CNBC reported that the announcement followed two days of direct conversation between Trump and the Canadian prime minister, Mark Carney, on Monday and Tuesday, with negotiating teams working in parallel. Axios and NBC News both put the length of the reprieve at three days. Carney's own statement fixed the new expiry at the end of the day on 21 August, which is the date that now governs every shipment affected.
The first use of a 1930 law
The duties Trump suspended are unusual in their legal basis. According to client analyses published by the law firms White & Case and Holland & Knight, the president signed three proclamations on 20 July imposing the 50% rate under Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930, the first time any US president has invoked that provision.
Section 338 allows a president to respond to foreign discrimination against American commerce without the investigations, comment periods and consultation requirements that attach to more familiar instruments such as Section 232 or Section 301. The trade practice at Wiley noted in its own alert that the authority had sat unused for almost a century before this summer, which is why the July proclamations drew as much attention from trade lawyers as from exporters.
What the 50% rate would have covered
The three proclamations reach approximately US$20bn of American imports from Canada, measured on both 2024 and 2025 trade, or roughly 5% of the value of everything the United States buys from its northern neighbour, according to the White & Case analysis. The list is idiosyncratic rather than sweeping: wine, cement and hockey sticks all appear on it.
The stated justification is narrower still. The US trade representative, Ambassador Jamieson Greer, said in a statement issued in July that the measures answered Canadian discrimination against American commerce in three sectors, namely motor vehicles, alcoholic beverages and dairy. Those are the same files that have irritated American negotiators through successive rounds of talks over the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement.
Carney's careful wording
Carney did not match the White House's punctuation. Substantial progress has been made, although there is important work still to be done, the prime minister said, adding that the American tariffs had been postponed until the end of the day on 21 August. Read against Trump's declaration of a deal, the formulation left the agreement conspicuously unfinished.
There is a practical reason for the caution. The Section 338 proclamations remain on the books rather than revoked, and a pause of this kind suspends collection without withdrawing the legal instrument that created the liability. Unless the proclamations are amended or rescinded, the 50% rate can return on a date certain without any further presidential action.
Why Ottawa could not simply wait it out
Twenty billion dollars is a modest share of a trading relationship that moves hundreds of billions of dollars a year, but the exposure is not spread evenly. A 50% rate is not a friction. For the wineries, cement producers and sporting goods manufacturers named in the proclamations it functions closer to an export ban, because few of those products carry the margin to absorb a levy of that size.
Forbes, reporting the pause, described Trump as claiming a last-minute deal rather than describing one, and no text has been released by either government. NBC News likewise reported the suspension without a published agreement attached. For the exporters concerned, that leaves three days of planning against an outcome nobody outside the negotiating rooms can read.
The wider trade file behind the three sectors
Motor vehicles, alcohol and dairy are long-running grievances rather than new ones. American negotiators have complained for years about provincial liquor board practices they argue disadvantage imported wine and spirits, about the supply management system that caps US access to the Canadian dairy market through tariff-rate quotas, and about content and rules-of-origin questions in the automotive chapter of the continental agreement.
What is new is the instrument. By reaching for Section 338 rather than the agreement's own dispute machinery, Washington has moved the argument out of a forum in which Canada holds procedural rights and into one where a tariff can be switched on by proclamation and, as Tuesday night demonstrated, switched off again just as quickly.
The 21 August deadline and the documents still unsigned
The reprieve expires at the end of Friday 21 August. Three outcomes are live. The documents are finalised and the proclamations withdrawn or narrowed; the pause is extended again while drafting continues; or the 50% rate takes effect on Saturday on the same US$20bn of goods that were spared on Wednesday morning.
Neither government has said which sectors, if any, are covered by the understanding Trump described, and the US Trade Representative has published nothing further since July. Until a text appears, the most reliable indicator will be the customs guidance issued to American importers, because that, rather than a social media post, determines whether a Canadian shipment clears at zero or at half its declared value.
Sources
- CNBC - Trump pauses 50% scheduled tariffs on Canada for three days, announces deal with Ottawa
- NPR - Trump says U.S. and Canada reached deal to delay 50% U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports
- Axios - Trump pauses 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for 3 days
- Forbes - Trump Pauses New 50% Tariffs On Canada Claiming Last-Minute Deal
- White & Case - Trump administration imposes 50% tariffs on certain Canadian products in first use of Section 338
- Office of the United States Trade Representative - Ambassador Greer Issues Statement on President Trump Imposing Section 338 Tariffs on Canada
You may also like to read

US Imposes 25% Tariff on Most Brazilian Goods as Section 301 Clock Runs Out
Washington has imposed a 25% Section 301 tariff on most Brazilian goods from 22 July, citing content-moderation orders, IP failures and ethanol barriers.

US and South Korea Cut Ulchi Freedom Shield From Eleven Days to Five After Trump Orders a Reduction
Seoul says it learned of the order only hours before the exercise began, and the counterattack phase has been cancelled outright.

US and South Korea Cut Ulchi Freedom Shield From Eleven Days to Five After Trump Orders a Reduction
Seoul says it learned of the order only hours before the exercise began, and the counterattack phase has been cancelled outright.

Canadian Wildfire Smoke Chokes the US Northeast as 2026 Fire Season Intensifies
Smoke from hundreds of Canadian wildfires has pushed air quality alerts across the US Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, exposing over 115 million people to bad air.